Ship Registration – BVI
At Diligent Company Services we can provide a prompt and efficient means of ship registration in the BVI. We stand ready to assist you and help you navigate the entire process.
We can offer practical and total solutions to your ship ownership and registration needs in conjunction with the use of a BVI Business Company. Standard due diligence procedures again apply and you will be required to provide a completed application form together with required due diligence information for review and approval, if you do not have a pre-existing relationship with us. The applicable due diligence form can be found here.
During a Red Ensign Group Conference, held in May 2013 in the British Virgin Islands, it was announced that the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency had agreed to grant the Virgin Islands Shipping Registry (VISR) full Category One status. This enables the Virgin Islands Shipping Registry to register ships of any tonnage and type, and is a significant improvement from the previous situation where the types of ships it could register was restricted to:
- General cargo ships of unlimited tonnage; and
- Yachts of up to 3000 gross tons;
This new unrestricted classification means that the BVI is now a full player on a world stage in the Ship Registration industry. Now the Virgin Islands Shipping Registry intends to transform itself into a globally recognized and respected Red Ensign Registry.
Why Undertake Ship Registration in the British Virgin Islands?
Things Required for Ship Registration in BVI:
- Application for ship registration in BVI
- Declaration of your eligibility
- Original copy of the Bill of Sale
- Survey and tonnage measurement certificate
- Incorporation certificate (if company)
- An extract of register and deletion certificate
- Original copy of tonnage certificate or certificate of Survey along with a closed transcript
- Notarized translation certified as correct by a notary public if documents are in a foreign language
- More, depending on the country of origin
Ship Registration Guidelines: BVI Merchant Shipping Act, 2001
Minimum Fee for ship registration $2,000.00 plus disbursements
The amount of fees subject to change on the basis of the specifics of the ship registration